The following are the rules for the McGill University Chess Ladder. These rules will be effective this week and end at the end of this year. The rules are as follows:
1. New players can join the ladder at any time. They start at the bottom of the ladder.
2. Ladder games will only be played during club hours (this may change in the future).
3. Players must accept all valid challenges. However, a player may decline a challenge if they already played a ladder game against the challenger this week.
4. You can challenge any player within [round up(# of participants in ladder / 5)] ranks of your current rank (Example: 13 participants in the ladder, you are #8, then you can challenge #7, #6 or #5)
5. The challenger chooses whether to play black or white and also selects the time control between 10, 15 or 20 min
6. If the challenger wins, the players switch places on the ladder. Otherwise, nothing happens. WRITE TODAY’S DATE ON THE BACK OF YOUR NAMEPLATE AFTER EVERY LADDER GAME. This is for keeping track of who is active and who is not.
7. If a player does not play a ladder game over a period of more than two weeks, starting at the third week they will move down [round up(# of participants in ladder / 5)] ranks for each subsequent week of inactivity. If they are already at the bottom of the ladder, their name will be removed. The player can later rejoin the ladder in the future as a new player if he/she chooses.